VIDEO LISTENING: How will Rodrigo Duterte's strong words for the U.S. affect the Philippine economy?
Firebrand: a person who is passionate about a particular cause, typically inciting change and taking radical action.
Blast at: to shoot at, to attack
Take shots at: to shoot at, to attack
Damage control: action taken to limit the damaging effects of an accident or error
Walk back: to try to reduce the strength of some extreme statement or judgment error
Destabilize: to make unstable and (sometimes) dangerous
Outsourcing: obtain (goods or a service) from an outside or foreign supplier
Call center: a company/business where people answer customer service or information calls
Alienate: to make someone feel isolated, alone, pushed outside a group
1. Who is Duterte taking shots at or blasting? What could this mean if it doesn't describe a physical attack?
2. Based on this article and anything else you know about the leader do you agree that Duterte is a firebrand type politician?
3. What important thing did Duterte suggest during a speech on October 20th at a Chinese trade conference? Why might he feel he needs to walk back his announcement?
4. How can a leader's comments like these destabilize the entire government? What sector stands to lose the most?
5. BONUS: Has Duterte been successful at damage control?
6. Does Duterte seem to be doing a good job avoiding alienating the US? Why or why not?